Level: Easy | Yields: 6 Servings | Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 50 min | Total Time: 1 hour 20 min
• 1 Frozen pie crust (deep dish)
• 1 Pie crust for topping
• 1 lbs honey crisp apples (cored, sliced, peeled)
• 1 lbs granny smith apples (cored, sliced, peeled)
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tbsp flour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp nutmeg
• 1/2 lemon
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 egg (beaten)
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tub vanilla ice cream
- Start by preheating the oven to 375F.
- Remove the frozen pie crusts from the freezer and allow to thaw in the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sliced apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula mix until all apple slices are evenly and completely coated in the mixture.
- Once the pie crust has thawed, poke holes in the bottom of the crust using a fork. Next, fill the pie crust with the apple filling. Gently place the pie crust topping over your pie and using a fork seal the edge of your crust by gently pressing the fork down along the edge around the pie. Using a kitchen brush, brush the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar. Using a sharp knife, cut four slits into the top of the pie to create a vent which allows steam to escape.
- On the middle rack, bake the pie for about 50-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Remove the pie and allow to cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm with your favorite toppings (vanilla ice cream or whipped cream are delicious!)