Peach pie, oh my. This juicy, sweet, and utterly classic homemade peach pie recipe is always a welcome visitor in our home. It’s one we love to throw down when we know we’re having company. The scent of peaches is one that especially rocks!
Best Peach Pie Recipe
This epic peach pie goes down in the hall of fame as one of the most awesome pies on the planet. Just a few ingredients and you’ll be on your way to baking this beauty up!
Easy Peach Pie Recipe
If you’ve always wanted to bake a pie from scratch but never knew where to start, peach pie may just be the easiest one ever. It only requires a few easy ingredients and just a little time before you have baked up this classic fresh peach pie recipe.
Homemade Peach Pie Ingredients
- Peaches – Use fresh, ripe peaches that are peeled and sliced. The star of your peach pie filling.
- Sugar – For that iconic sweetness.
- Lemon juice – Bring out that fresh peachy taste.
- All-purpose flour – Helps make that interior texture lush and perfect.
- Nutmeg – Gives it some warmth.
- Pie crust – Use our homemade pie crust recipe!
How do you Make Peach Pie from Scratch?
To make this recipe for peach pie, start by making your pie dough. You’ll preheat the oven to 425F and get busy on the filling. Combine the peach slices, lemon juice, sugar, and flour in a large bowl and mix gently. Roll the pie dough into shape and put it in your pie plate, then add the peach filling. Sprinkle this with nutmeg, then roll out the second part of the pie crust and put it on top. You can make a lattice top or cover it (just cut slits if you do). Brush this with egg wash and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375F, baking for another 45 to 60 minutes. It’s ready when the pastry top is golden brown and the peaches are bubbly. Let this cool before serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Peach Pie Every Time
- Use a good peeler. This will help you easily remove the skins from your fresh peaches.
- Make your pie crust in advance. It really saves time and all you have to do is then throw your pie together.
- Choose good peaches. This is not the place for anything that is bruised or mushy. Good quality ripe peaches will ensure your peach pie filling recipe is top notch.
- Never make this filling ahead. While you can do that with some other pies, peaches seep out too much liquid so you want to use them right away before they wind up making your pie soggy.
Which peach is best for pie?
Yellow peaches are the best for peach pie. They have a darker-colored skin and the flesh is yellowish orange in color.
How can I use fresh peaches instead of canned?
Fresh peaches are the best for peach pie. You do not want to use canned ones or it will come out mushy.
Do you boil peaches before baking?
No, there’s no need to boil your peaches before you bake them. You can just peel and slice them, then put them in the crust.
Do you thaw frozen peaches before making a pie?
Yes, you must thaw frozen peaches completely and then drain them well.
How do you prepare peaches for baking?
To prepare peaches for baking, you peel them, slice them, and then mix them with flour, lemon juice, and sugar.
Do you peel peaches for peach pie?
Yes, peel those peaches for your peach pie. It will turn out better this way!
What is the difference between peach pie and peach cobbler?
Cobblers are even easier than pies. Peach pie requires pastry but peach cobbler uses a biscuit batter and only has a topping while pies are more encased.
How to Cook Peach Pie?
You simply get your pie crusts ready, fill them with the peach mixture, and bake!
Should you pre-bake crust for a peach pie?
You do not need to pre-bake the crust for most fruit pies though some people find it helpful. Since this peach pie bakes so long, you won’t need to do that.
How Long do you bake Peach Pie?
In total, peach pie bakes for about an hour and 15 minutes.
How long does a pie take to bake at 350F?
When you bake most pies at 350F, it will take roughly an hour before it’s ready.
What temp is peach pie done?
Check the middle of your peach pie. If it’s at 180F, it is done.
How do you make a peach pie not runny?
Be sure you use flour in the pie filling and bake it for long enough. This will keep it from being runny.
How do you keep a peach pie from getting watery?
Using a thickener like flour helps when making the filling. Also, some say that the lattice top crust is the best way to keep it from getting watery inside.
What goes well with Peach Pie?
Nothing beats a slice of homemade peach pie with vanilla ice cream on top. Add some whipped cream too and you’ll be in pie heaven!
How to store Peach Pie?
You can keep a peach pie loosely covered on the counter, or you can keep it in the fridge.
How long does Peach Pie last?
At room temperature, peach pie will be good for 2 days max. In your fridge though, you can keep it for about 4 days.
Can you freeze Peach Pie?
Yes, you can! And it’s a good thing too because you can make extra and save it for up to 6 months. However, we recommend you eat it sooner rather than later.
How to reheat Peach Pie?
Warm your oven to 350F, cover your pie, and bake it for about 15 minutes. That should be perfect!
Watch How To Make Peach Pie (Video)
Kulick's Peach Pie Recipe
- 6 cups fresh ripe peaches (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 homemade pie crust
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Make the pie dough and shape into 2 discs and refrigerate for at least an hour. (Click here for video).
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Make the filling: combine the peach slices, lemon juice, sugar, and flour in a large bowl and gently mix. Set aside.
- Take on of the pastry discs out of the fridge and roll on a floured surface until it’s about 12 inches in diameter. Place in a 9 inch pie plate. Pour the peaches into the pie plate and sprinkle with the nutmeg.
- Roll out of the second disc of pastry and place on top of filling or cut into strips to form a lattice crust. Wet the edges of the bottom pastry with water and pinch the bottom and top edges together and trim. Cut slits into the pastry if not doing a lattice top, otherwise brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375F. Continue baking until the peaches are bubbly and pastry is golden brown, an additional 45-60 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Once completely cooled, slice and serve.