Do you want to know a secret? Even legendary rockers love apple pie. There’s nothing better than that sweet cinnamon-apple aroma of this homemade apple pie recipe wafting through my kitchen and all throughout my home. In fact, it has the power to stop me mid-song and lure me away.
Best Apple Pie Recipe
For holidays and family gatherings, don’t be the one that buys an apple pie from the store! You can make the best apple pie recipe right here. It’s loaded with tender apples inside a perfectly buttery crust that is so good, it’s going to make you cry tears of joy.
Easy Apple Pie Recipe
This simple apple pie recipe is fun and easy to make. The steps and videos below will help you rock in the kitchen right along with us and you’ll have the kind of apple pie that truly blows your guests away.
Apple Pie Ingredients
- Double traditional pie crust – You’ll make this with flour, salt, butter, vegetable shortening, ice water, and cold vodka (save a little for yourself too).
- Butter – Choose unsalted for the pie.
- All-purpose flour – To thicken up that homemade apple pie filling recipe.
- Water – Gets your pie filling texture just right.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar brings out the sweetness of your apples
- Vanilla extract – A perfect addition to any pie.
- Granny Smith apples – The best apples for baking an apple pie!
- Cinnamon – The essential apple pie spice.
- Lemon juice – This ingredient keeps the apples from turning brown when you slice them.
- Egg wash – You’ll make this to brush onto the crust using either a tablespoon of water or milk mixed with a large egg.
How do you Make Apple Pie from Scratch?
To make this apple pie recipe from scratch, you’ll start by making the apple pie crust recipe with the flour and salt first, then adding the butter and shortening. A pastry cutter will help you get it to the right texture. Then you’ll alternate adding the water and vodka until the dough forms clumps. Flour your hands up and fold the dough until it’s all incorporated. You’ll make a ball, cut it in half, then shape them each into discs, wrapping with plastic and refrigerating.
When it’s time to get baking, you’ll preheat your oven to 425F. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium to medium-low, then whisk in flour and simmer, continuing to whisk. Add water and sugar and let it boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 3 minutes. Next, pour apples into a large bowl, coat with cinnamon and lemon and toss. Pour the sauce you made over the apples, and stir evenly.
Get your dough ready in the pie plate, add the apple mixture, then top with the second crust, making sure to add vents in. Brush with the egg wash and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350F and bake until the filling starts bubbling. Take it out and let it rest for an hour before serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Apple Pie Every Time
- Yes, vodka. It adds more liquid to the pie crust, so giving it part cold water and part cold vodka will work wonders.
- Choose the right apple. Granny Smith is what we use here in this traditional apple pie recipe, but if you can’t find those, choose another apple type that can endure baking like Golden Delicious, Royal Gala, or Empire. Tart apples are the best apples for apple pie.
- Let it rest. Oh, it’s hard, so hard, to resist that apple pie aroma in the air. But letting it rest at room temperature for an hour will give it that glazed and juicy texture you want.
What apples should not be used for apple pie?
Always stick with tart apples for apple pie. You never want to use Gala or Red Delicious because they just won’t stand up to the temperatures in the oven.
What apples are best for apple pie?
Granny Smith apples are the absolute best apple pie apples out there. However, if they are not available, choosing another tart variety will be best.
What combination of apples make the best pie?
By far, the best apples you can choose for an apple pie are Granny Smith. They are the gold standard for withstanding those hot oven temps and lending that wonderful tart taste to your pie.
How many apples for apple pie?
A good rule of thumb is to count on about 10 apples to make your apple pie.
What are the 5 tips for pie perfection?
The 5 tips for pie perfection include making sure you have a cold dough to get a flaky crust, don’t skimp on fillings, don’t overwork the dough, use the low rack for baking, and wait for your pie to rest before slicing it.
How to make apple pie filling?
You’ll heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium temperature and whisk flour into it. Then you’ll add water and sugar, get it boiling, and it will soon be ready to pour over your cut apples with cinnamon.
Why do you add lemon juice to apple pie?
Lemon juice keeps the apples from oxidizing and turning that unpleasant brown color. You only need a little bit and it won’t make the pie taste lemony.
Should you cook apple pie filling before baking?
Cooking part of the filling works out better than dumping everything raw into the crust. It keeps your pie from being watery on the inside.
How to Cook Apple Pie
Apple pie requires a little stovetop work to get elements of the filling ready and it also needs to bake in the oven to a golden and crispy, hot and bubbly creation.
Is it better to prebake pie crust for apple pie?
No, you shouldn’t prebake the pie crust for your apple pie, otherwise it will be overdone. Prebaking is best for pies that have fresh ingredients or custards in them.
How Long do you bake Apple Pie?
You will need to bake your apple pie for an hour total. It’s so worth it though!
How long does a pie take to bake at 350?
At 350F, it should take about an hour for your pie to bake to perfection. You want to see the filling bubbling up from the vents you cut in the pie crust.
At what temperature is an apple pie done?
Apple pie will clock in at a temperature of 200F when it’s fully done. You should notice the juices are bubbling at this point too.
What goes well with Apple Pie?
Apple pie is a dream come true with plenty of whipped cream and vanilla ice cream.
How to store Apple Pie?
Apple pie should be put into the refrigerator once it is completely cooled and everyone is too stuffed to eat another slice. Make sure you cover it well with plastic wrap first!
How long does Apple Pie last?
In the fridge, your apple pie will be good for about 4 days. We’ve never had any remaining longer than a day afterward, it’s so good.
Can you freeze Apple Pie?
Oh yes you can! And if you want to cheat a bit ahead of the holidays, you can make it and freeze it for up to 3 months ahead of time. Obviously, fresh is best, but if you’re expected to make a bunch of pies, this one will freeze beautifully.
How to reheat Apple Pie?
If you’ve got a frozen pie, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. You can then easily reheat it by setting the oven to 350F. It should take about 15 minutes, but if it still feels like it’s not hot enough and you don’t want to burn the crust, cover it with foil and bake about 5 to 10 minutes more.
Watch How To Make Apple Pie (Video)
Kulick's Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 double traditional pie crust
- 8 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Egg wash: 1 tbsp water or milk, 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp butter (unsalted, cold)
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup vodka (cold)
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Prepare a double traditional pie crust.
- In a medium saucepan over medium to medium-low heat melt butter. Whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour into the butter and simmer for another minute, continuously whisking. Add in the water and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer another 3 minutes before removing from heat.
- Pour the 7 cups of apples into large bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon, then toss. Pour the sauce over the apple slices and stir to evenly coat.
- Roll your dough out into a circle and place into your 9-inch pie plate. Add in the apple mixture. Place the second crust on top of the pie in desired pattern, slice in vents, and brush with an egg wash.
- Bake the pie at 425F for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and continue to bake until the filling bubbles. Once it does, remove from oven and allow to rest at room temperature for an hour before serving. Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- (Click here for video) In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Then add the butter and shortening. Use a pastry cutter and cut down the butter and shortening until the mixture takes on a coarse meal texture. Alternate between 1 tbsp of cold water and cold vodka into the bowl and stir. Stop adding liquid when the dough begins to form clumps.
- Transfer the dough to a floured flat surface. Flour your hands and fold the dough into itself until the flour has fully incorporated into the fats. Form the dough into a ball and cut in half. Form each half into a 1-inch thick disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate.