If you love chocolate as much as we do, then this rockin’ chocolate pudding pie recipe is the one for you! Of course we couldn’t do without our pumpkin pie for the holidays, but there’s nothing better than a dessert table full of options. And one of those MUST be chocolatey!
Best Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe
A buttery graham cracker crust loaded with rich, creamy, chocolatey pudding. It’s a simple dessert for parties, holidays, gatherings, or even just because you need a chocolate dessert, and this one is purely the best!
Easy Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe
For a VIP dessert that will make everyone fall to their knees, this easy chocolate pudding pie is the way to go. It’s basically only about 10 minutes of work from you and the rest is letting it chill in the fridge.
Homemade Chocolate Pudding Pie Ingredients
- Graham cracker crust – We’ve got a video that shows you how to make it from scratch. You’ll want to bake it and let it cool before you get started.
- Sugar – For that perfect level of sweetness.
- Cornstarch – Helps give the pudding filling that proper texture.
- Milk – Use whole milk.
- Egg yolks – Just the yolks. Reserve the whites for something else.
- Bittersweet chocolate – A staple for any pie with chocolate. Chop it up finely.
- Vanilla extract – A necessity in any pudding pie.
- Butter – Bring in that richness.
- Salt – A balance to the sweet flavors.
- Homemade chocolate pie toppings – You’ll need whipped cream and some more of that finely-chopped chocolate to garnish.
How do you Make Chocolate Pudding Pie from Scratch?
To make chocolate cream pie recipe, you’ll start by preparing the crust. Once the pie crust is complete, you’ll add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt and whisk this all together in a medium saucepan. Then add the milk and egg yolks, whisking together. Put it all on medium heat and stir until it just barely starts to boil and thicken. As soon as it starts bubbling, immediately pull it from the heat and drop that chocolate and butter in, stirring until combined. Then pour it all into your prepared pie crust and let it chill uncovered in the fridge for 4 hours.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chocolate Pudding Pie Every Time
- Make sure it boils. But don’t let the mixture go longer than that. As soon as those bubbles start bubbling up, pull it from the heat and add that chocolate and butter.
- You can cheat. If you must, you can also save time by using a store-bought graham cracker crust for your chocolate pie recipe. Then you can just prepare the filling, pour it in, and chill.
- Get fancy with chocolate curls. If you want your chocolate pudding pie to look really professional, you can use a vegetable peeler on the chocolate bars to create them for garnishes.
How to Cook Chocolate Pudding Pie?
You cook the filling on the stovetop. The graham cracker crust only needs to be baked a few minutes in the oven to get it ready and then needs to cool before you fill it.
How do you make a graham cracker crust for pie with pudding?
You’ll combine 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs with a ¼ cup of white sugar together, then stir in 7 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter and combine. Pat the crumbs down into your pie dish to make the crust.
Can you bake a pie in a premade graham cracker crust?
You can for other pies, though for a chocolate pudding pie, you do not need to bake the filling. The filling is prepared on the stovetop and added to the pie crust afterward.
How Long do you bake Chocolate Pudding Pie Crust?
It’s just 10 minutes to bake the crust without any filling in it. You do not bake a chocolate pudding pie with the filling.
Why is my chocolate cream pie runny?
You may not have cooked the filling to the right temperature first. Remember, you need to get it just to a boil before removing it from the heat and adding in the chocolate and butter.
How do you keep a pudding pie from getting watery?
Stick to the measurements in the recipe and make sure you’re using cornstarch. Additionally, be watchful at the stove as you mix the ingredients for the pudding filling together. In doing so, you’ll avoid having a watery pudding pie.
How do you thicken chocolate pie filling?
The cornstarch in this recipe will help with that. If you measure it precisely, it will help you create the perfect thick texture it needs.
How do you doctor up chocolate pudding?
If you’re making a chocolate pudding pie with a pudding mix, you can add vanilla to it to make it taste more homemade.
How do I make my instant pudding thicker for pie?
It’s better to make the filling from scratch but if you only have instant pudding for the job, you can use heavy cream rather than milk to make it thicker and richer.
Why did my chocolate pie not set?
You have to cook the filling long enough to get it to thicken. This way, it will set beautifully in the fridge.
What goes well with Chocolate Pudding Pie?
Whipped cream is always a win for that chocolate pudding pie. We like to swirl it on right before serving and then top with shaved chocolate as garnish.
Does chocolate pudding pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes, chocolate pudding pie must be refrigerated. After you prepare the filling and pour it into the pie crust, it must go straight into the fridge to set and that’s where it should be kept until it is served.
How long is chocolate pudding pie good for in the fridge?
Chocolate pudding pie is good for 3 to 4 days in the fridge. It’s best to enjoy it sooner rather than later.
How long is chocolate pudding pie good for?
Since you can keep a chocolate pudding pie in the fridge for about 4 days, you could make it in advance. However, don’t make it too far in advance as it will have the best taste and texture within the first 24 hours.
How to store Chocolate Pudding Pie?
Chocolate pudding pie must be kept in the refrigerator. As it chills, you should leave it uncovered, but to preserve leftovers (if there are any!), you should cover it.
How long does Chocolate Pudding Pie last?
You should eat the remainder of that chocolate pudding pie within 3 to 4 days. We’ve never had it last that long…it is always long gone before it gets to that point!
Can you freeze Chocolate Pudding Pie?
Yes, you can freeze your chocolate pudding pie too! Great idea! But you will need to wrap it very tightly first. It should last about 2 months this way.
How to thaw Chocolate Pudding Pie?
No need to reheat your chocolate pudding pie! Just trot it out of the fridge and serve. If you froze it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then it will be ready the next day.
Watch How To Make Chocolate Pudding Pie (Video)
Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe
- 1 graham cracker pie crust (baked and cooled)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs yolks
- 7 oz bittersweet chocolate (chopped finely)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- whipped cream (for topping)
- Additional finely chopped chocolate (for garnish)
- Prepare graham cracker pie crust. (Click here for video)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt and whisk together. Add in the milk and egg yolks and whisk together. Stir the ingredients on medium heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil and thickens. The second the mixture starts to bubble immediately remove from the heat and add in the chocolate and butter, stirring until everything is combined. Pour the pudding into the prepared pie crust.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours uncovered. Slice and serve with whipped cream and chopped chocolate.