If you’ve never heard of a shoofly pie, don’t worry about it. Just make it. Made with sweet molasses and brown sugar, it’s the pie you never knew you needed. This shoofly pie recipe is a hit with everyone and you can make it in a pinch…even if you’re all out of eggs!
Best Shoofly Recipe
With a crumb topping and gooey inside, this is the best shoofly pie you’re going to find. Rock their socks off by serving up a slice of this divine Amish-style pie.
Homemade Shoofly Pie Ingredients
- Crumb topping – You’ll make this with all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and unsalted butter.
- Molasses – The star of the pie.
- Boiling water – Part of the texture.
- Baking soda – The other part of the filling.
- Pie crust – Feel free to use our homemade pie crust recipe or a store bought pie crust and you’ll be all set.
Easy Shoofly Recipe
There’s only a few ingredients here, meaning it’s a super simple pie. Plus, it takes about an hour from start to finish, making it quick and easy to throw together any time you’ve got a wicked pie craving.
How do you Make Shoofly from Scratch?
To make this recipe for shoofly pie you’ll start by preheating your oven to 450F and make the crumb topping. Put the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into a large mixing bowl, then add the butter and use a pastry cutter to combine. You’ll get something akin to cornmeal in texture. Then you’ll mix the molasses boiling water, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Pour this into your pie crust, then spread the crumb mixture evenly on top. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350F and bake for 20 more minutes until it’s firm. Let your shoo fly pie cool completely before you serve it.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Shoofly Every Time
- Make sure that water is hot. This is the trick for getting the texture of the filling just right in this shoo fly pie recipe.
- Don’t forget the baking soda. It creates balance for the pH with the molasses, which really helps if your molasses is a bitter variety.
- Serve it up right. Shoofly pie is great by itself and some say you can even eat it for breakfast (hey, it’s got my vote). The only way to improve it though would be with a little vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on top.
What is shoefly pie?
Shoefly pie is the same as shoofly pie, a pie from Pennsylvania Dutch origins made with molasses and a crumb topping.
What is the origin of shoo fly pie?
Shoofly pie originates with the Pennsylvania Dutch colonists on the farms back in the early 1700s. They’d bake them in outdoor ovens and leave them to cool on the windowsill.
Is shoo fly pie German?
No, it is associated with Pennsylvania Dutch colonists and the Amish rather than Germans.
Why do they call it shoo fly pie?
Shoofly pie is believed to have gotten its name from a popular mule that wore boxing gloves with a traveling animal circus in Pennsylvania. This animal was so adored, it appeared on a brand of molasses. Others say that the molasses attracted flies when it cooled and hence, the farm wives would shoo flies away.
What is the meaning of shoo fly pie?
Shoofly pie is a pie from the US that is made with molasses and is linked to the Pennsylvania Dutch.
What state is known for shoofly pie?
Pennsylvania is the state that is known for shoofly pie with its large Amish population.
Why is shoofly pie popular?
In the olden days, this pie was popular because it didn’t include eggs. It was also easy to hold it in your hands and eat.
What does shoo fly pie taste like?
Shoofly pie tastes like molasses though some say it tastes similar to chocolate, and the rich gooey texture makes it more indulgent.
What is shoo fly pie made of?
Shoofly pie is made from all-purpose flour, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, molasses, water, baking soda, and salt.
How to Cook Shoofly?
Shoofly pie is beyond easy to make, only requiring you mix a few essentials together and add them to the pie crust before baking.
How Long do you bake Shoofly?
You will bake your shoofly pie about 35 to 45 minutes.
What goes well with Shoofly?
All the pies on your dessert table will go great with shoofly pie, though that vanilla ice cream and whipped cream is the perfect topping.
How to store Shoofly pie?
You can keep shoofly pie on the counter. Just cover it well!
How long does Shoofly last?
You can move it into the fridge too, but either way, shoofly pie is good for about 5 days.
Can you freeze Shoofly?
Yes, shoofly pie freezes pretty well. The only point of contention is the crumb topping which may lose its texture, but it will still be good.
How to reheat Shoofly?
Simply warm this in the oven at a low temperature for about 10 minutes, around 250F should do the trick.
Watch How To Make Shoofly Pie (Video)
Kulick's Shoofly Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cold)
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 traditional pie crust
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Make the crumb topping by coming the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add in the butter, using a pastry cutter to combine until the mixture forms a cornmeal texture.
- Combine the molasses, water, and baking soda in a separate mixing bowl and then pour into the pastry shell. Evenly distribute the crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and bake an additional 20 minutes until firm. Allow to cool completely before serving