For the holidays, there is nothing that rocks your dessert table better than a pumpkin pie. Buying one from the store doesn’t taste the same, plus it doesn’t fill your home with that warm and inviting pumpkin aroma. Take it from the best, this homemade pumpkin pie recipe is going to make you a hero for the holidays!
Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe
You’re going to fall in love with fall all over again when you bake up this best pumpkin pie right here. Everyone goes crazy for it and it’s rare we have any leftovers!
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
With simple ingredients, this easy pumpkin pie gives you the best results. It takes little time to prepare and the rest of the time is just learning to be patient while that aroma floats from the kitchen and throughout your home. Put on some KISS songs to pass the time and before you know it, it will be ready!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
- Traditional pie crust – Gotta have something to contain the pie!
- Pumpkin puree – Use the pure 100% pumpkin stuff.
- Eggs – For making this pumpkin custard filling.
- Light brown sugar – Make sure it is packed as you measure it.
- Granulated sugar – You’ll need this one too.
- Cornstarch – Provides the right amount of thickness.
- Seasonings – You’ll need cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Heavy whipping cream – For that rich and creamy texture.
- Milk – Use whole milk for the best results.
- Egg wash – Make it with a large beaten egg mixed with 1 ½ tablespoons of whole milk.
How do you Make Pumpkin Pie from Scratch
To make this recipe for pumpkin pie, you’ll start by preheating the oven to 375F. As that happens, whisk the pumpkin puree, eggs, and brown sugar together. Then add the cornstarch, all the seasonings, heavy cream, and milk, stirring until thoroughly combined. You’ll roll out the pie dough (either make it from scratch or get a store-bought one) and put it in your 9-inch pie dish. Put pie weights on the dough and par-bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and pour in the pumpkin pie filling. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until the center is almost set. Once done, put it on a pie rack and let it cool completely before serving.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie Every Time
- Use pie weights. These will help you prebake the pie crust so it’s ready for the pumpkin pie filling recipe.
- Check after 25 minutes of baking. You want to observe the crust and see if it’s getting too dark too fast. If so, cover the edges with aluminum foil or use a pie shield.
- The center should be slightly wobbly. A huge mistake is to keep baking a pumpkin pie after the bake time because the center wobbles. It is supposed to do that, and if you cook it too long, it will be overdone.
What is pumpkin pie filling made of?
Pumpkin pie filling is made from pumpkin puree, eggs, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, black pepper, heavy whipping cream, and whole milk.
Is canned or fresh pumpkin better for pie?
Either will give you a delicious pumpkin pie, though the textures will be different. Canned pumpkin is more like ricotta cheese in texture while fresh pumpkin is thicker and more velvety by comparison.
How do you thicken a pumpkin pie filling?
Cornstarch is the best way to thicken a pumpkin pie filling to that perfect texture everyone loves.
What is the crust of pumpkin pie made of?
Pumpkin pie crust is made with flour, butter, salt, and ice water. You can add sugar too if you like, or you can by a ready-made unbaked pie crust to roll out from the store.
Why do you use evaporated milk in pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin pie needs a thickener and evaporated milk serves that purpose in some of the other recipes you will find. It is not in this recipe, though the other ingredients come together to make for a divine filling.
Is heavy cream or evaporated milk better for pumpkin pie?
This recipe calls for heavy cream over evaporated milk. If you don’t have heavy cream, you could use evaporated milk as a replacement though the heavy cream will make the filling creamier.
Can I use sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk in pumpkin pie?
While neither of these types of milk are included in this recipe, using sweetened condensed milk will make your pie sweeter, denser, and creamier. Evaporated milk will make it lighter and airier but won’t add sweetness.
Can you use sweetened condensed milk instead of milk?
Yes, you can, though that whole milk results in a more luscious texture for your apple pie.
What can you use in pumpkin pie instead of evaporated milk?
You can use whole milk instead. It will make the pie richer in texture.
Does pumpkin pie need to be watery before baking?
Pumpkin pie filling should be a bit runny, resembling melted ice cream prior to baking. Once baked, it will set into a thick and delicious filling.
Is it best to prebake pie crust for pumpkin pie?
Yes, you should definitely prebake that pie crust. Doing so will keep the bottom of your pumpkin pie from becoming soggy.
Should you blind bake a pumpkin pie crust?
Yes, you should blind bake a pumpkin pie crust. Adding pie weights keeps its shape while the prebake helps give it a head start which will result in a crisp and flaky bottom rather than a soggy mess.
What temperature do you bake pumpkin pie?
In this recipe, depending on your oven, you will bake it at 365F-375F.
How Long to Bake Pumpkin Pie?
At 365 to 375F, it will take about 55 to 65 minutes to bake a pumpkin pie, depending on your oven.
How long does a pie take to bake at 350?
At 350F, it should take about an hour to bake a pie.
How do I make my pumpkin pie crust crispy?
You will need to prebake it first before filling it. This ensures the bottom doesn’t get mushy.
How long should pumpkin pie sit baked?
Pumpkin pie needs to cool at room temperature. This can take up to an hour to achieve.
How to Store Pumpkin Pie?
You’ll need to let your pumpkin pie cool down to room temperature and eat it within 2 hours. Cover any remaining pie loosely with plastic wrap and stick it in your fridge.
Does pumpkin pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes, pumpkin pie must be refrigerated. It should cool to room temperature before serving and shouldn’t be left out for more than 2 hours.
How Long Does Pumpkin Pie Last?
Pumpkin pie lasts for 3 to 4 days when contained in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Pie?
Oh heck yes, you can freeze pumpkin pie for up to a month. You could start making your pies for the holidays now, or make an extra to enjoy after the holidays too.
How to Thaw Pumpkin Pie?
You can let it thaw on the counter until it comes to room temperature if you’ll be eating it soon. If not, put your frozen pumpkin pie in the fridge overnight and it will be ready when you are.
Watch How To Make Pumpkin Pie (Video)
Kulick's Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 traditional pie crust ((optional: use remaining dough to create leaf décor))
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves (ground)
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1-1/2 tbsp whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F depending on the heat of your oven.
- Whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, and brown sugar. Add in the cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, black pepper, heavy cream, and milk and stir vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Roll our your pie dough and place into a 9 inch pie dish. Place your pie weights in the dough and allow to par-bake for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the pre-baked crust. Bake for about 55-65 minutes or until the center is almost set, it should still be slightly wobbly.
- Within 25 minutes of baking, check on the crust—if the edges appear to be getting too brown cover them with aluminum foil or pie shield. Once done baking, transfer the pie to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Decorate with optional whipped cream and/or leaf décor.