Kulick's Homemade Traditional Pie Crust
A fun and easy recipe tutorial is perfect for making a homemade buttery flaky pie crust for most of the Kulick's pie recipes. What's great is that only a handful simple ingredients are needed to make this easy pie crust recipe that comes out absolutely delicious!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp butter (unsalted, chilled and cubed)
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup cold vodka
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Then add the butter and shortening. Use a pastry cutter and cut down the butter and shortening until the mixture takes on a coarse, mealy texture, with lumps of butter and shortening about the size of peas. Alternate between 1 tbsp of cold water and cold vodka into the bowl and stir. Stop adding liquid when the dough begins to form clumps.
- Transfer the dough to a floured flat surface. Flour your hands and fold the dough into itself until the somewhat melted fats have fully absorbed the remaining flour. Form the dough into a ball and cut in half. Form each half into a 1-inch thick disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 3mg