Classics are always a good thing. Just look at all the old KISS albums if you need a reminder. And while you’re rockin’ out, make this homemade pecan pie recipe to enjoy with your friends and family during the holidays!
Best Pecan Pie Recipe
The best pecan pie comes from simple ingredients that all come together for that sweet, buttery, nutty taste. That gooey texture along with the crunch of the pecans is why this is the ultimate classic for your holiday dessert table or any time you’re feeling festive.
Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
With just a few ingredients and only a little prep time, this is an easy pecan pie recipe for anyone. And it gives you such delicious results!
Homemade Pecan Pie Ingredients
- Unbaked pie crust – Get the 9-inch frozen kind.
- Light brown sugar – Measure this ½ cup packed.
- Eggs – Beat these to have them ready.
- Vanilla extract – A must in this traditional pie!
- Molasses – Gives it that sweet and rich flavor.
- Light corn syrup – Thickens and sweetens.
- Pecans – You’ll need these coarsely chopped.
- Salt – A nice heaping ½ teaspoon will do the trick.
- Unsalted butter – Have this melted when you’re ready to bake this pie.
How do you Make Pecan Pie from Scratch?
To make this recipe for pecan pie, start by preheating your oven to 350F and while that’s warming up, you’ll make the filling in a large bowl. Add everything to that bowl except for the pecans, making sure everything is fully combined. Then spread your pecans on the bottom of the pie shell and pour the filling on top. Bake for 30 minutes, then check the crust to make sure it’s not browning too quickly. If it is, use a pie shield or tent it with foil. Keep baking 30 more minutes. The filling should be set but center should be jiggly. Remove from the oven and be sure to let it cool completely before you serve it.
Expert Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pecan Pie Every Time
- Prep first. Especially with those pecans. You can buy them chopped but it’s just as easy to put them into your food processor.
- Add pecans on top for decoration. If you want to be artistic about your presentation, you can reserve some pecan halves to arrange on top after you pour in the filling.
- Watch that crust. Ovens really vary a lot, and you want to keep checking in to keep the crust from burning. If the pie still has a while to bake, you definitely want to cover the crust to protect it.
What is pecan pie filling made of?
Pecan pie filling is made with light brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, molasses, light corn syrup, salt, unsalted butter, and pecans.
How much pecan do you need for a pie?
For a 9-inch pecan pie, you will need 2 cups of coarsely chopped pecans.
Why does pecan pie need corn syrup?
That corn syrup is what keeps your pecan pie all together. It is thick and combined with the eggs in the recipe, it gets your pie to set in place.
How do you make pecan pie without syrup?
You may not have light corn syrup at home, but you can still make pecan pie. Simply substitute it with maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, or brown rice syrup. Each of these can be subbed in at a 1:1 ratio to make a pecan pie without corn syrup.
How do you keep pecan pie filling from seeping through the crust?
Some people use a barrier of an egg wash lightly brushed onto the crust and prebaking before adding the filling. If you use a frozen pie crust and pour the filling in while that crust is still frozen, it will also keep the filling from seeping.
Can pecan pie be made the day before?
Yes, you can make pecan pie the day before. You can even make it up to 72 hours before you plan to serve it, though it’s really best to make it closer to that serving time.
How to Cook Pecan Pie?
Pecan pie is cooked in the oven. It’s minimal prep and assembly that pays off with wonderful flavors.
How long does it take for a pecan pie to cook?
A pecan pie could take up to 70 minutes. It depends on the oven, though always watch how the center of the pie is to know when it’s ready.
How long does a pie take to bake at 350?
For pecan pie, it takes about 60 minutes to bake at 350. Don’t just rely on time though as you should check to see if the center is slightly jiggly but set.
How do you know when a pecan pie is done?
When the bake time is up, pull the pie out and shake it a gently to see if the center jiggles a little yet looks stable. If there’s a lot of movement, it’s not ready. Put it back for 5 to 10 minutes and check again.
Why is my pecan pie not gooey?
Pecan pie should only jiggle a little when you take it out of the oven. If you start pulling it out and it’s really jiggly, it needs to cook longer for everything to bind and thicken in the filling.
How do I make my pecan pie not runny?
Make sure you follow this recipe and bake it long enough. That should prevent you from having a runny pecan pie.
What goes well with Pecan Pie?
Another slice of pecan pie! Ha! As for on top of that pecan pie, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream is always a lovely way to top it off.
How to store Pecan Pie?
Pecan pie should be covered and stored in the refrigerator. It’s such a delicious pie though, you may not have any left!
How long does Pecan Pie last?
It will keep for up to 4 days when you put it in the fridge. And if you simply ate way too much (hey, it happens) you can always freeze it.
Does pecan pie need to be refrigerated?
Yes, pecan pie is made with eggs and butter which means it should be put in the fridge.
Can you freeze Pecan Pie?
Pecan pies freeze beautifully, but you’ll want to double wrap it with plastic wrap and make sure there’s no air in there. Then give it a wrap with foil and it will be good for up to a month.
How to reheat Pecan Pie?
If it’s frozen, thaw it out in the fridge overnight. You can then set it out on the counter while you have dinner to let it warm up to room temperature.
Watch How To Make Pecan Pie (Video)
Kulick's Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt (heaping)
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 pie crust (unbaked 9 inch frozen)
- 2 cups pecans (coarsely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350F. While the oven preheats, assemble the filling. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the pecans until thoroughly combined. Spread the pecans over the bottom of the pie shell and pour the filling over the pecans Optional: arrange a few pecan halves in a decorative pattern.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, check the pie and make sure the crust isn’t browning too quickly—if the crust and top of the pie are browning too quickly, tent with foil or use a pie shield. Bake an additional 30 minutes until the filling is set but the center is still a little jiggly. Once the filling has set remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cool completely before slicing and serving